Looking for info on a Japanese ferment- Hishio

As the title suggests, I'm trying to find out some information about a possibly archaic Japanese fermented condiment known (possibly) as Hishio. Like so many other Japanese ferments, it's made from koji cultivated on rice, and salt, but it seems to be used to break down and ferment animal protein, perhaps in a liquid form like a garum, maybe thicker more like a meat based miso. I've only come across it mentioned once or twice, but nothing in detail. I imagine the modern Noma style garums might be pretty similar, but I would like to get something as close to authentic as possible.

So, anyone ever read/seen anything about it? Thanks 😀

I've started making something of my own, based on what little I know and a lot of guesswork; aspergillus sojae cultivated on rice, mixed with brine, pork, kombu, shiitake and some aragatsuo (from a bottle of Tosa Shoyu, for extra glutamic pow!). Held at 50°C for 5 weeks so far, might leave it for another 5. It's slowly turning into an intensely savoury, ramen broth flavoured condiment, but I don't know if I'm even remotely close to Hishio 🤔

submitted by /u/senex_puerilis
[link] [comments]

from Japanese Food https://ift.tt/2mKVUBo https://ift.tt/eA8V8J

Comments

Popular Posts